Excellent timing on Mido’s part, one would say?
Most definitely. If you’ve been following Mido, you’d know by now that the brand is on some sort of offensive in terms of celebrating its 100th birthday. With celebrations hosted at all corners of the globe, it was only a matter of time before Mido Malaysia got round to it.
So, aside from throwing itself its centennial bash, Mido Malaysia also launched the 2018 Baroncelli Big Date collection locally. Introduced to the world not too long ago, the Baroncelli Big Date has now landed in Malaysia with prices kicking off at RM3,360.
A total of 7 references are now available with a variety of case finishes and strap options.
Seven variations?! Must be a nightmare picking one.
On the contrary, it’s rather simple. Most of the time, it all boils down to what kind of finish and/or bracelet option you want. Inside, the watches are all identical. Powering the entire collection is the brand’s Calibre 80 movement with the large, twin-date aperture at 6 o’clock. The 25-jeweled movement is based on the ETA C07.651, beats at 3 Hz (21,600 vph) and has a power reserve of 80 hours (obviously). Water resistance is quoted at 30 m.
As for the case itself, it measures 40 mm while the lug width is 20 mm. A domed, sapphire crystal with double-sided AR (anti-reflective) coating is also featured. At the rear, a sapphire caseback is present, allowing owners to appreciate the mildly decorated movement.
The differences between all 7 variants are as follow:
- M027.426.36.018.00 – rose gold PVD-treated case, white dial, black crocodile leather strap
- M027.426.22.018.00 – 316L stainless steel case with rose gold PVD-treated bezel and crown, white dial, two-tone steel bracelet
- M027.426.16.018.00 – 316L stainless steel case, white dial, black leather strap
- M027.426.11.018.00 – 316L stainless steel case, white dial, stainless steel bracelet
- M027.426.11.088.00 – 316L stainless steel case, anthracite-grey dial, stainless steel bracelet
- M027.426.22.088.00 – 316L stainless steel case with rose gold PVD-treated bezel and crown, anthracite-grey dial, two-tone steel bracelet
- M027.426.36.088.00 – rose gold PVD-treated case, anthracite-grey dial, brown leather strap
What about the party itself?
It was everything it was hyped up to be. Aside from the usual launch gambit, there was also the lucky draw and we all know it won’t be a birthday party without the cake-cutting ceremony. For fans and followers of the local entertainment scene, a certain friend of Mido, Mr. JC Chee, was also on hand to present the latest collection. Some of you might recognise him as “Tauke” from the Ola Bola film.
Once again, shoutout to Mido Malaysia for extending the invitation to Centre Seconds. Here’s to another 100!