Mido’s Calibre 80 joins the Baroncelli collection
It would appear that the folks at Mido are really going all out for their centennial celebrations. The brand has just launched a new model within its Baroncelli lineup dubbed the Mido Baroncelli III Big Date. Fans of the manufacturer would most certainly know that with the ‘Big Date’ term comes the Calibre 80. As a result, seven new Baroncelli variants will feature the now-iconic big date aperture at the 6 o’clock mark.
Tell me more…
Much like the Mido Commander Big Date, the Baroncelli Big Date models were launched as part of the brand’s 100th anniversary celebrations. Can we then expect more collections to receive the Calibre 80 this year? Perhaps so as Mido has very quietly hinted that it will be “launching a series of original timepieces, equipped with a large date aperture and powered by its exclusive Calibre 80 movement.”
So then, on to the watch itself. As mentioned, there are seven flavours to choose from with the reference numbers being:-
- M027.426.36.018.00 – rose gold PVD-treated case, white dial, black crocodile leather strap (suggested retail price of RM3,990)
- M027.426.22.018.00 – 316L stainless steel case with rose gold PVD-treated bezel and crown, white dial, two-tone steel bracelet (suggested retail price of RM4,360)
- M027.426.16.018.00 – 316L stainless steel case, white dial, black leather strap (suggested retail price of RM3,570)
- M027.426.11.018.00 – 316L stainless steel case, white dial, stainless steel bracelet (suggested retail price of RM3,830)
- M027.426.11.088.00 – 316L stainless steel case, anthracite-grey dial, stainless steel bracelet (suggested retail price of RM3,830)
- M027.426.22.088.00 – 316L stainless steel case with rose gold PVD-treated bezel and crown, anthracite-grey dial, two-tone steel bracelet (suggested retail price of RM4,360)
- M027.426.36.088.00 – rose gold PVD-treated case, anthracite-grey dial, brown leather strap (suggested retail price of RM3,990)
What about the Calibre 80? Tech specs?
Yes, the star of the show – Mido’s Calibre 80. Based on the ETA C07.651, the 25-jeweled movement beats at a modest 3 Hz or 21,600 vph. Water resistance of the watch is rated at 30 m and power reserve is, obviously, quoted at 80 hours. The movement itself has been adjusted in 3 different positions and is visible through the sapphire crystal case back. The case itself measures in at 40 mm while lug width is 20 mm.
Elsewhere, the watch features a domed sapphire crystal with double-sided AR (anti-reflective) treatment. Beneath it, polished, applied hour markers can be found with the 12 o’clock index finished in Roman numerals instead of the batons that adorn the other points. The hour and minute hands feature contrasting finishes – one side is sandblasted with the other is diamond-cut – while the seconds hand sports a full diamond-cut finish.
Last but most certainly not least is the addition of the large, two-piece date aperture at 6 o’clock.
Is it even on sale in Malaysia yet?
The answer to the latter is, soon. Very, very soon. Centre Seconds reached out to Mido Malaysia and they have confirmed that the new Mido Baroncelli III Big Date collection will be launched sometime at the end of June or at the start of July 2018.
Once again, a quick check on Mido’s Malaysian site shows that the collection will have a suggested retail price starting at RM3,570 (ref. M027.426.16.018.00) to RM4,360 (ref. M027.426.22.018.00, M027.426.22.088.00). What do you guys think? Is the Mido Baroncelli III Big Date a fantastic candidate for an affordable dress watch? Think there is a better alternative? Let us know in the comments below.